mths1957 Forum Index mths1957
MTHS Class of 1957 Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The American Nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    mths1957 Forum Index -> Class of '57 Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geraldinekalman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: The American Nightmare Reply with quote

Hi Fellow Classmates,

Once again, I am loosing interest in American politics. My reason being I have no plans to live in the USA so Im not too interested in health care, road improvements, etc. However, I hope my ennui is not prevalent among the Americans living in the country. CNN seems totally in tune with the Administration and thats good. The population should be kept well informed but not propagandized. There is too much hate out there in the GOP.
I hope we never see a Bobby Jindal become POTUS. Bush and his administration did their best to dumb down the country and it seems they are still working on it. I nearly choked listening to Bobby Jindal put down volcano research. I'm a huge fan of my very cheap volcano generated electricity here in the Philippines. The Republicans appear to be drowning people grasping for straws. It frightens me because they are so full of hate.
Recently, I received emails from someone in FL. She is just bubbling over with hatred for everything including herself and her family. She is close to loosing her home. There seems to be so little one can say or do to console her because who knows whats really happening. Capitalism failing? No way? That would be un-American. Only the other guys fail.
One thing is for sure, everybody thinks they know the answer and everybody thinks they are an expert. Obama is the lucky one chosen to solve this mess and it won't happen from one day to the next. How are you going to fix this mess that has built up over decades? The simple thing would have been, let those banks just collapse and get rid of the mess. But I don't need to explain what that would have meant for a lot of ordinary folks. You see, it is plain and simple the banks are taking the U.S. in hostage. You can't live with them but you can't live without them. So Obama and his team have to balance on a thin wire and keep on walking. And this will take time, patience and yes politics. It is the fast-forward mentality, a crime-is-solved-in-45-minutes-show-on-television culture that creates this cascade of critics from media, and ordinary people.
Meanwhile how are things with my retired classmates? I wish you all good health. Getting sick in America is far too expensive. Maybe health care is not such a bad idea, now that you are older and may require more medical attention.
Having lived abroad for over 40 yrs. its hard for me to believe what I see in the USA on TV. The long lines of people, young and old waiting at employment centers. The situation looks bleak. When the "average man" is interviewed one gets the feeling a large portion of the nation is waiting for Superman to come to their rescue. Its as if they dont believe what has happened and if they just keep hiding their heads in the sand it will all go away. Thats a sad commentary on the American psyche.
Unfortunately, you simply ignored how far the USA was falling behind the rest of the world during the past 8 years. From here it appears most Americans were too busy shopping at Wal-Mart (as their president had suggested). Shopping took up so much time and you were kept so ill informed by the media, that you lost contact with world affairs. Cheap goods from China became the criterion. Now we are seeing the results of shop until you drop. To me this is all so inane it is hard to digest. Are my fellow countrymen really so stupid, they believe you can spend more than you earn? Wow, that leaves little doubt as to how low the educational institutes have sunk. Meanwhile, Islamic financial institutions are managing fairly well. They stayed away from toxic assets. If the financial system is revamped they could take a few lessons from Islamic Banking. Why not? We use the numeric system they invented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mths1957 Forum Index -> Class of '57 Bulletin Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: